Thursday, January 19, 2012

[004] It's puppy day!

I never thought today would get here, and I'm so excited it finally has!

I don't have much to say right now that I haven't said already. Just wanted to push out a quick entry though in case I don't get the time later. I'm anticipating lots of puppy snuggling and playing!

I called our breeder this morning and she said Rufus is so excited for us to come get him. He had a special bath last night so he's all squeaky clean! She shared with me that he loooves his dry food (they get Nutro-Max puppy), ice cubes, and mowing everyone down! Sounds like the high energy puppy we were looking for! I just have to make extra sure he's a good boy and doesn't mow me down! Seeing as how this is my first doggie, I want to make sure I'm a good mommy, but that I can discipline him also when it's necessary.

I feel kind-of sad that I'm taking him from his mommy, daddy, and brothers and sisters. The day had to come eventually, so I'm sure whether he is 8 weeks, 10 weeks, or even older, that I would still feel sad separating him from his family. We'll be the best family ever for him though! I'm also sad, because whenever a puppy is adopted, the breeder posts up a picture on the website of the new parents-to-be and the puppy, and so far only Rufus and one other littermate have been adopted I think. That leaves 1 more little girl, and 2 more little boys that still need homes! If any of you are in the Northeast near NY, CT, or the surrounding areas, and are looking/know someone who is looking, please let me know!

My copy of "Mother Knows Best" came in the mail this morning. I'm pretty sure I've read enough advice on here for housebreaking Rufus - which is what my main concern is right now - so I've got some time to read the book and hopefully get some helpful tips and tricks for teaching him some basic obedience. If he really is a mower, then STAY might be the first one instead of sit!

Mike, being a cat person, still isn't AS excited as I am, but I think once he realizes that I'm doing all the feeding, training, housebreaking, and he gets to do all the fun stuff - playing, snuggling, taking Rufus with him for jogs, then I think we'll have more of a balance of excitement. He shows off pictures of him like a real proud poppa right now though, so I can't complain too much. My only concern is making sure that when we do discipline, or any kind of training, that we use the same methods/routines so that Rufus "gets it" a lot faster.

That's all for now - I'll be posting tomorrow with some pictures and stories I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment